10 Second Summary
1. Install the app and log in using your Facebook account.More ↓
2. Add 2 to 3 good pictures to your profile.↓
3. Update your settings. Note your gender, location, and preferences.↓
4. Browse through matches. Swipe right if you like them. Swipe left if you don't.↓
5. Message them when a mutual match has been made.↓
Creating Your Account
- Download the Tinder app.You can download Tinder from the Apple App Store, the Google Play Store, or directly from the Tinder website. The Tinder app is free.
- Log in using your Facebook account.Tinder requires a Facebook profile in order to create an account. Make sure that you Facebook profile is accurate so that your Tinder profile is accurate as well. Tinder links you up with friends of your friends or nearby people based on your location.
- You must have the latest version of the Facebook app installed on your device in order to use Tinder.
- Update your Facebook profile.Since Tinder uses your Facebook data, it is a good idea to update your basic public information and profile photos.
- Other information extracted by the app from Facebook includes your age, location, a brief description, friends, and interests.
- If your age is hidden on your Facebook profile, it will not appear on your Tinder profile.
- Any pictures you want to use from your Facebook account must at least be visible to friends.
Customizing Your Profile
- Choose good pictures.Your picture is the first thing that other Tinder users will see, so you should ensure that you have 2-3 good pictures associated with your account. Make sure that the pictures aren't blurry, and that you are the only person in them.
- Avoid pictures of you with a person of the sex you are looking to be with, as this can give a bad impression to people looking at your profile.
- Try to have at least a few pictures of you, preferably from different angles.
- Use pictures to show off your interests, such as a hiking photo or a picture of you at a beach.
- A picture of you with a dog may prove to be very helpful, especially if the dog is cute!
- Smile and act natural!
- Edit your Tinder profile.Tap the Edit text on the upper-right corner of the app. The next screen allows you to edit your photos and your brief description or tagline.
- Try to keep your profile short and sweet.
- If you can't think of a good profile, just leave it blank. Most people are just looking at the pictures anyway.
- Save your changes.Tap Done, and you're ready to start making matches.
Managing Your Settings
- Open the Settings menu.Tap the upper-left corner to access the app menu. Menu options include Profile, Home, Messages, Settings, and Invite. Tap on Settings menu. This menu will allow you to set your preferred gender, your proximity for matches, and more.
- Identify your gender.To find the best matches, you'll need to note whether you're male or female.
- Define your proximity option.Set how wide the search distance for prospects the app would use. If you are having difficulty finding matches, try setting your proximity to a larger distance.
- You must have GPS enabled on your device in order to use Tinder.
- Define your preferred age range.Set the age limits, the youngest and the oldest, you're willing to consider for your partner.
- Identify your preferred gender.Set if you're interested in men, women, or both.
- Toggle notification settings.Turn on or off if you want your phone to vibrate whenever the app sends you notifications. You will receive notifications when a match has been made or when you receive a message.
Browsing through Prospects
- Check out your first potential match.Tinder uses your search parameters to identify prospects for you. The Tinder home screen will display the first prospect's image, age, profile, and general location.
- Choose to keep or delete.If you like the person, swipe right or tap on the "heart" icon. The message "LIKED" will be stamped on the photo. If you don't like the person, swipe left or tap on the "X "icon, and "NOPE" will be stamped instead.
- In order for a Tinder match to be made, both parties will need to swipe right on each other's profiles.
- Continue browsing.Tinder will continue to provide you profiles of people that match your search criteria. All you have to do is swipe right or left.
- You can't go back to a person you've already rejected, so be careful when swiping!
Connecting with Your Matches
- Wait until a match has been made.If someone you liked chose you too, you are considered a match! Tinder will send you a notification, and you can make contact with the person.
- Start connecting.For your matches, Tinder allows you to directly connect and communicate with them through the chat function in the app. Just go to the Messages in the menu and select the person you want to chat with.
- Write a strong first message.If you are initiating contact with the other person, make sure your first message is friendly and confident without being creepy. Avoid simply saying "Hi"; instead write something like, "Hi, how's your day going?"
- If you're a guy, avoid using emoticons. Studies have shown that emoticon use by males results in less responses.
- Have fun!Be yourself and stay positive. Don't be creepy or rude, even if the medium protects you from physical repercussions. Remember, there's an actual human being on the other end of your app.
- Don't wait too long to ask the other person out! If you've been chatting through Tinder for a while, make your move. They're probably chatting with other Tinder users as well, so you don't want to miss your opportunity.
Inviting Your Friends
- Invite people.Your options will widen when you add more people. Invite your friends and their friends to join. Tap Invite from the menu.
- Send messages from your phone.Tap the Chat icon to send instant messages to your friends using your phone’s built-in IM function.
- Send messages from your e-mail.Tap the Mail icon to send e-mails to your friends using your own e-mail account.
- Post on Twitter.Tap the Twitter icon to post your invites using your Twitter account.
- You can download Tinder from their website, from Google Play, or from Apple App Store
- Avoid using Tinder while on vacation, as it can get backed up with location-specific matches, even after you've returned home.