- 450 grams chicken breast;boneless;without skin.
- 1/2 cup olive oil.
- ⅓ cup fresh lemon juice.
- 10 strands of saffron.
- 1 tsp salt or as required.
- A pinch of red chilli powder.
- 1 large onion;grated.
- 1 tsp black pepper;freshly ground.
Preparation and Marination of Chicken
- Rinse well the chicken with cold water and pat it dry.
- After drying it,cut the chicken into 1" pieces.
- Place the pieces in a bowl and add grated onion,lemon juice,saffron,salt,chilli powder and black pepper to the chicken and mix well so that the color of the chicken is changed to a little orange color.
- Add olive oil and whisk till well combined.
- Cover the bowl with a plastic wrap or a muslin cloth and refrigerate for about 24 hours for marination.
- Remove the chicken from refrigerator and set aside for about 45-50 minutes before grilling to bring it to room temperature.
- Thread the chicken pieces on to long and narrow metal skewers,keeping them apart by 1".
- You can grill the chicken pieces over a moderately hot gas,or a charcoal fire or electric grill for about 15-20 minutes.
- Keep turning the skewers periodically and basting the pieces with leftover until the pieces are golden brown on all sides and no longer pink inside.
- Check one piece of the Joojeh kebab by cutting through it with a knife, if it is white and juicy then it is ready.
- Remove the kebabs from fire.
- In Iran these kebabs are often served on Basmati rice or wrapped in Lavash bread.
- You can also serve it over a bed of grilled tomatoes, grilled or raw peppers, fresh lemons or other vegetables.
- It can also be served with white rice and a dab of softened butter on top with a sprinkling of sumac.
- Try any one of the serving suggestions and alongside that place lime wedges or wedges of red onion for the traditional style.
- For best results the chicken pieces should be refrigerated in the marinade for at least 24 hours but if you have the time for up to 48 hours.
- Do not leave the chicken on the grill as it can ruin the Joojeh Kebab because of overcooking.