- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- 1 1/4 cups pink sanding sugar, for rolling
- 3/4 cup red-currant jelly
- Mix the flour, butter, cream, vanilla, and salt in an electric mixer bowl.Mix until smooth.
- Roll out the dough and flatten into two discs.Wrap in food plastic and place in the refrigerator to chill for 2 - 3 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 325ºF.Place a rack in the middle of the oven. Line the baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Roll out each dough on a sugared surface.Roll to 1/8" thickness. Add more sugar as you roll.
- Cut heart shapes.Cut 72 shapes and put 24 cookies on each sheet. Put the sheets back in the refrigerator to firm (about 10 minutes)
- Bake the cookies one sheet at a time.Bake for about 15 minutes, or until the light golden brown.
- Remove from the heat.Transfer to a cooling rack.
- Make the filling.Stir the jelly in a bowl until it becomes smooth. Put the jelly into a pastry piping bag and pipe about 1/2 teaspoon per cookie on half the cookies. Add the remaining cookies on top to form sandwiches.
Things You'll Need
- Electric mixer (with paddle attachment)
- 3 baking sheets
- Rolling pin
- Sugared surface
- Heart shaped cookie cutter, 2" width
- Wire cooling rack
- Pastry piping bag fitted with a No. 11 plain round tip