- Open the Outlook website.Go tohttps://www.outlook.com/. This will take you to the sign-in page.
- Click.It's in the upper-right side of the page.
- Enter your first and last name.Type your name into the "First name" and "Last name" fields, respectively.
- Enter your preferred username.You'll do this in the "User name" field. The name you enter here will be part of the email address that people see.
- For example, if you want your email to be "[email protected]", you would type "whalesaregreat" into this field.
- If the "User name" field turns red when you move to the next step, it is already taken.
- Create a password.Type a password into the "Password" and "Re-enter password" fields. These two passwords must match each other.
- Your Outlook password must be at least eight characters long and include letters as well as either numbers or characters (e.g., punctuation).
- Select a country.Click the "Country/region" drop-down box, then click the country you live in.
- Add your birthdate.In the "Birthdate" section, select your month, day, and year of birth from the drop-down boxes.
- Select a gender.Click the "Gender" drop-down box, then clickMale,Female, orNot specified.
- Enter your phone number.You'll do this in the "Phone number" field.
- This step is optional, but will help retrieve your account if you forget your password or lose access to the account.
- Add a secondary email address.If you have another email address, enter it in the "Alternate email address" field.
- This is also optional.
- Enter the verification code.Do this in the "Enter the characters you see" field. The code you have to enter will be listed above this field.
- These codes are typically comprised of all-capital letters and numbers.
- Click.It's the blue button at the bottom of the page. As long as you entered all of the above information, doing so will create your account with Outlook and take you to the inbox setup page.
- Uncheck the "Send me promotional offers from Microsoft" box before creating your account if you don't want Microsoft sending you promotional (sales) emails.
- To sign out of an Outlook account, click your name in the upper-right side of the inbox page and then clickSign out.
- "Hotmail" and "Windows Live" are no longer distinct services. They instead redirect to Outlook.