- Make sure you are male.In Japan, they do not let females in the ring. If you want to be a female sumo wrestler, the USA Sumo Association lets girls fight. And keep in mind, you do NOT have to be Japanese.
- Make sure your age reaches the bar.The official minimum age of sumo wrestling is 15. There is no rule on how old you can be.
- Know that weight doesn't matter.On the official website, it says sumo wrestlers do not have to be a minimum or maximum weight. But, the bigger you are, the more you can knock people down.
- Be strong and healthy.Don't be fooled by how big they are. They have flexible muscles, strong arms, and stable legs. You must be ready to practice every day.
- Get comfortable in the uniform.When you become a sumo wrestler, you will wear it all the time. This uniform is a loincloth and your hair in a certain style. It is called achonmageor an Edo-era samurai ponytail.
- Know sumo wrestlers' living.If living in a live-in sumo school, you must get up at 5 in the morning to practice. This goes on into 12 in the afternoon, and sometimes longer. You must do your own chores, clean, and you only get a lunch break in between practice. And, to get above the entry level takes years of practice. But, you may drop out at any time.
- Get ready for body slamming, and lots of it.Some of sumo wrestlers' practices include slamming yourself against wood, and slamming your chest on various things. Also, you must be fine with scratches and bruises.
- Get good at it!If you are good enough, you will move on to where it all started. Japan!
- When you are big, you have more chances for stroke, heart disease, and diabetes.
- When you drop out, it may take more than 6 years to lose the weight you gained.